background

Monday, October 1, 2012

The Roasted Turkey

I know we have awesome serving ware right? All our serving bowls recently cracked, so sad. Should have kept the melamine version. Anyway before I forget I roasted my first turkey and really it was the best I had ever had! We aren't planning on being home for Thanksgiving so when I found a frozen butterball on sale, I took the plunge. We were supposed to have company as well but they had to cancel on us. More turkey for us I guess.

So I rinsed the turkey removed the inerdz and such and patted it dry.
Then I shoved a spatula in between the skin and the meat and poured in olive oil.
 Next I rubbed it in and out with salt and pepper, lots of it, and the outside with rosemary and thyme.
 I squeezed some lemon juice inside and put half an onion chopped in quarters
Next I put it breast side down on a roaster for the recommended time at 350, I flipped it the last hour to let the breast brown.

It was the best turkey any of us have ever had, beginners luck I suppose. The gravy was delish, I made it from the drippings and some cornstarch mixed with water. I think I need to remove more of the fat from that next time but it was yum. Some of the onion fell out from the cavity and then made it's way to the gravy so good. I also cooked up some carrots, mashed potatoes and corn. Huds ate every bite and even requested if for breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish!!! I need to do this because one Thanksgiving is definitely not enough!! :)

    -Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just got me soo excited for Thanksgiving!!! Looks amazing Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this looks super yummy! It makes me excited for Thanksgiving time :)

    ReplyDelete