background

Monday, September 24, 2012

Vibram Bikila

I wasn't going to run today but I guess my body needs exactly a day and a half after a half marathon to be chomping at the bit to run again.In honor of my Bikila's maiden voyage I matched my tank and went for a short run. They were heavenly granted I only did 1.5 miles in them, but it's safe to say so far I'm in LOVE.

 I've had them for a few weeks but everywhere I read people suggest this program or that to transition, plus I had some big races and still had regular shoes to wear down. I initially planned this transition in April but picked up an Ultra trail marathon in March and the conversion can be lengthy so I kept pushing it off, however during that time I converted my stride so that I land on the ball of my feet (forefoot I think?).   After having a running store put me in even greater pronation control than I was previously using and than suffering my first injury ever about 3 weeks after (I've been running regularly since I was 15) and than reading Born to Run I was sold on trying these, and I don't think they will disappoint.  There is significant evidence that the greater pronation control you use the greater the chance of injury, but I will let you research that yourself.

Somewhere between reading program after program to transition from regular shoes to minimalist shoes and massaging my feet for about 30 seconds (this is a suggestion from a program) I decided I just needed to go with my own intuition on the matter.  I'm taking it slow I'll probably do 2 miles in them next week or later this week and increase by a half a mile till I get to 3 and then level off there and wear them more often before I slowly increase from there.  Let me tell you the post run foot massage is better than a pre run one. Granted I did boss out a trail half marathon on Saturday in which I blew past a guy wearing Vibram's but I still have faith in them.  I'll let you know how it continues to goes. BTW I can't wait to get the pics back from the Golden Leaf Half. The leaves were golden up in Aspen and it was an amazing single track springy golden leaf covered trail, with panoramic views of Aspen (which is one of the most beautiful places in the world in my book).  More on that later and
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment