background

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Glenwood Shuffle AKA The First Race I Got Lost On

The hill right before finish line from the top
Here I Come!
I got 2nd in my division
This guy's smile always gets me to the finish line!
So I set a PR (Personal Record)for my half marathon last Saturday, I hadn't run a road half in a couple years so I decided I had to get one in this season.  I started out with the front of the pack, there was one other lady and 4 guys.  I felt like I could even pass those guys in the beginning.  Then my GPS starts to inform me I'm running a 6 minute mile awesome, so I try to pace myself even though I'm not feeling winded or strained.  I finally slowed down to a 7:30 min/mile and than an 8 min/mile which is what I was expecting.  I played passing games with some other people for a while.  Then the next thing I know I'm running up Grizzly Creek, and I know Grizzly Creek does not take me to No Name, I yell at an Asian tourist, "WHERE IS THE RACE?" he tosses his hands in the air, this is bad! 
First of all this is Glenwood Canyon, this is a bike path, how did I get lost on a bike path next to the river?  (You should also know Glenwood Canyon is one of my favorite places in the world, always has been, always will be)  So I start heading back I see two runners and think oh I'm heading the right way and start booking it again, I turn around to be sure and they are gone, so I loop back through a parking lot around a bridge and see another runner and run with her and see the turn I missed.  (The 3rd place runner also got lost in the same spot).  I yell at the aid station "YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE BACK THERE I GOT LOST!!!)  and try to make up for lost time.  There was only 2 miles to go and I had a 1/4 mile to make up, it didn't happen.  Thankfully my GPS told me my half time and I added 30 seconds for the hill at the end.  Which makes it 1:49:30.  I know I can go faster, so tempted to do another half.

No comments:

Post a Comment