background

Saturday, April 2, 2011

1 day at the Doc

Yesterday I had my glucose screening. I asked how early I should come to drink the orange glucose drink. The woman said 15 mins is plenty of time. So I arrived at 9 my appointment was at 9:15, I went to the basement to the ARUP lab department to drink my sugar. I tell the lady I am here for my glucose screening she points to the sign on the door and says she has patients in front of me. So I read the sign which says to place your name face down on the table and wait in the waiting room. I place it face up just because I feel like it and sit and wait. I watch as one patient goes in and then leaves after like 3 mins, lady disappears and 15 mins later calls the next patient in, and the same thing repeats till it's about 9:45am. I call upstairs and ask them if I should just come up and go down later. They said they would call the lady and find out. Meanwhile my sister-in-law who had an appointment the same time funny enough comes down because she heard I was there. She is in and out of her appointment and I have yet to drink the koolaid. I start to feel nauseous. Finally the lady calls my name and says why didn't you say that is why you were here (which I had) and gives me the koolaid while she is drawing an old man's blood, finally she learned how to multi-task! I wanted to be mad at her and say there is no way I'm trusting you lady but I was in a good mood and she was too plus I had the day off work so it really didn't matter to me anyway. She tells me not to throw it up or I'll have to do it all over again so I plug my nose and chug. I run up to my appointment and they let me know that I will have to see Rita the nurse midwife because now the Dr is booked go figure but I like Rita so it doesn't matter. They are also out of rooms so they put me in a room that has a sign on the door that says procedure in progress, scary! Rita can't find the Doppler, Rita finds the Doppler, puts the goo on my belly and then realizes the Doppler doesn't work. So they hurriedly clean another room clean off the goo put me in the other room and put on more goo. Our baby is moving all over the place and she is chasing him with the Doppler across my belly, we hear his heartbeat several times and she says "wow that kid is doing great if he moves that much", granted he was probably enjoying the glucose much more than I was. So I run back down stairs and the cheery/slow lady says you have the same birthday as my son! Then proceeds to poke my right arm, she can't get my vein to bleed so she is digging away in there, (and thus my initial feelings were right to not trust this lady). I was dehydrated by this point as I'd been there 2 hours and hadn't drank much that morning. So she gives up and pokes my left arm and promises she will get the blood, walah it works. I love my Dr and his entire staff but I couldn't help but find the whole situation comical!

Later that night we went to our mission reunions the Wee Connolly was really active when I talked to my mission pres wife and TJ's mission president, we are thinking of naming him after my late mission pres, Pres. Stewart. Anyway we'll see what he looks like. After I laid down for bed Wee Connolly was jumping on my bladder for 1o minutes straight, previously he has done this sporadically but it was a constant jumping feeling, it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment