background

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Whole Milk and 100 miles

Today was wonderful, Hudson woke up and started to chew on me, I said owww, he cried and refused to eat anymore, so I warmed up a bottle of whole milk and walah, happy baby, happy momma.  I forgot to mention how sensitive little Huds is, if he accidentally scratches us (or chews on us) and we say oww, he is mortified.  Anywho I called my pediatrician to double check that it wasn't too early for whole milk and she said it's fine, no more than 24 oz a day, today we did a total of 16 oz. , we brush his teeth, and give him a multi-vitamin.  You may say big deal, but to me this means LET FREEDOM RING!!!!!  I love my son but knowing I can leave him with Yia Yia for my girls trip just sounds like too much fun, I know I'll miss him but I'll be all the better for it when I come back.

Incline from the bottom

Incline from the top 2010
Next on the blogging agenda.  Once upon a time when I was a girl, I heard about the Leadville 100, I thought yep I'll do that someday, along with my goal to beat Matt Carpenter's incline goal, and win the Pikes Peak Ascent.  (For those of you not familiar, the Leadville 100 is an ultra race that goes up and down mountains (no exaggeration) for 100 miles, through cold and rivers, and mud etc, one of the hardest 100's if not the hardest.  The incline is an old railroad track straight up the side of Pikes Peak (a 14er) it has a grade that averages 41% but goes up to 68%.  It's actually "closed" to the public, however apx. 500,000 people a year hike/run it.  It's under negotiations of becoming legit, however a high school friend's mom just went into cardiac arrest and died on it this month, so I'm not sure how that will go.  Here's a deep dark secret of mine too, once I had a boyfriend whose lungs randomly collapsed, both of them at separate times while he was in Hong Kong, on a mission for our church, I remember hiking the incline the day I found out and thinking, I'm not sure I could marry someone who's lungs might collapse, anyway he's a great guy, even a pilot for the Air Force but I couldn't marry a man whose lungs might collapse on the incline, hence why I married TJ, have you seen him lately, hot, tough stuff I've got coming home to me everyday, he puts those bachelor characters to shame)  Anyway, I grew up, moved away from the incline and the ascent and thought running more than 26.2 miles is crazy and stupid.  My bestest friend Joy told me she did a 100 and I said NEVER.  She asked me to be her pacer and I said heck yes!  Guess who's signed up for the Leadville 100?  Not me, but someday I hope to be.  After my knee incident on my last trail marathon, I'm questioning if my body can do it.  But you know what I believe it can.

topo for Leadville 100
In other running news, speed work, don't forget to do it, I was getting slower and slower, putting in miles, after one speed work session my next run was 1 min/mile faster.  Also I'm running a 10 miler on Sat wish me luck, it's a good course that I thrive on, can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. You have got to look after yourself as well as your beautiful baby, so I am happy to have a bit more freedom which will give you time to relax.

    ReplyDelete