background

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Homemade Peach Ice Cream

homemade Madigascarian Vanilla Bean Colorado Peach ice cream







My homemade Madagascarian Vanilla Bean Colorado Peach Ice Cream was inspired by my crew shown below it. We had such a great summer that year driving all over in the Scout with it's much bigger tires than pictured above. We camped, we hiked, we swam, we made yummy food and laughed a lot. One of my favorite memories was hiking down to the Punch Bowls at night from the hunting range with one flashlight and laying awake most of the night on them under the stars. I can't find any pictures of the Punch Bowls but they are these big boulders with waterfalls, you can sit on some of them. (That whole area recently got torched in the wild fires down there:-(.) The night entailed a snorefeast when we finally did fall asleep. The next day we all had to work so we hiked up and out with half a bottle of water in the blazing sun and were near dead by the time we got to our cars 2 hours later.

Once upon a time on another occasion we somewhat begrudgingly took the Scout up past Woodland Park, I think to 7 Mile and camped. I say begrudgingly because of the 8 miles/gallon it got, even though gas was still close to a $1 yep you read that right $1 a gallon. It was like $35 to fill that thing versus $10 to fill up all our little economy cars. We stopped in a little town and got some homemade peach ice cream, it was the best thing I'd ever had till I created the above. We spent the rest of the summer with our infantile high school knowledge of cooking trying to recreate it at home. A couple years ago Chik-fil-a came out with a peach shake and I would drive across town just to enjoy such a delicacy. Now thanks to my mother-in-law, who gave me a Cuisinart ice cream maker, (yes the one I posted on my blog forever ago, she's pretty much the best I know), Madagascar's Vanilla Beans, and Colorado's amazing peaches, my craving has been beyond satisfied after 10ish years. Love you grown up kids!
And because I love you all here is the recipe:
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 whole madigascarian vanilla bean
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
 Combine milk and cream in medium saucepan. Split vanilla bean in half length ways. Scrape out seeds. Stir bean and seeds into milk mixture. Bring to slow boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 mins., mix occasionally. Combine eggs, yolks, and sugar in med bowl. Beat with a mixer till mixture is thick and smooth and pale yellow about 2 mins. Remove pod from mixture. Pour 1 cup of hot liquid into egg mixture slowly beating to tempure the eggs, then add back to milk mixture and mix, cook until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on custard chill completely.

2 cups of ripe peaches
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Chop up peaches and combine, marinate for a couple hours, pour juice into custard right before the ice creaming process. Pour in ice cream maker for about 30 mins add peaches last 5 mins.
Enjoy!

1 comment: