background

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Days 3-6






















Day 3: Oh gosh I'm already forgetting, I remember we spent all day at the beach haha what's new, our resort had bikes so we went for a bike ride around Playacar, there were lots of little ruins we stopped by, I wish I had taken my camera. We got back and tried the pool for the first time and played bingo which is something they do everyday at 3. We then went for a run and had dinner. We talked to a couple at the beach who just loved us to pieces Fiona the teacher and her fire fighter man. They were both adorable, in their early 40's and from Canada. They met when they were 14 and we'll call him Rick went to ask her to dance at a school dance and then some older guy walked up to Fiona and kissed her, he backed off and she married that guy, they ended up getting a divorce and Rick, the firefighter realized he could finally be with the woman he loved so cute, so they were sad they didn't have any kids together but just thought we were the coolest couple. I loved them I thought they were so cute too even though Fiona told me she still has her 1st child's 1st dirty diaper, I will think of her as I throw mine away.

Day 4: Day 4 was Sunday, we did our best to keep the sabbath holy, we spent the morning at the beach reading and trying to keep cool. I felt pretty fried so we moved into one of those canopy bed things and took a nap it was nice and breezy and we were out of the direct sun. I woke up to 3pm bingo, they play some wild music and we decided to walk to church which was at 5. So it was about a 35 min walk and when we arrived it was the catholic church apparently La Iglasia De Jesu Christo De Los Santo Dos Ultimos Dias was not clear to him. So we stopped at a nearby hotel and asked him where it was, we arrived there at about 5:20 the jolly bishopric let us know church had ended an hour ago, seems the hotel also must have the service times mixed with the 7th Day Adventists as we had passed them and they were meeting at 5. My pregnant ankles were killing me, but we made our way back to the resort and meanwhile learned a lot about the town.

Day 5: TJ set his alarm for 6:30, he decided he was going to hit up the continental breakfast and get our rental car before I woke up. I tried to communicate to him that in foreign countries people are not such early risers but I was half asleep. TJ came back and said the rental place didn't even open for another hour, he also said the breakfast was great but later on he confessed there was coffee and a cantaloupe sitting outside the restaurant. We laughed our heads off. So we finally got our rental car about 9 I think and headed to Coba. It was a really fun drive, I had to educate TJ that just because the stop signs said Alto he still had to stop although the crazy truck behind us didn't either. We also learned the shoulder of the road is considered a lane, and they have lots of random speed bumps on highways as you go through towns. We were in the middle of the jungle and flew over one. All of a sudden our tank read empty we were a bit scared. We pulled over turned off the car and turned it back on and it was fine, phew! We got cash for the sights and I had to growl at and shoo little Mexican children away, they were fun. We payed $25 for a tour of Coba, I would recommend getting your own book although the guy who took us probably really needed the money and he was really good I just felt it was pretty short for $25. We walked the rest of the way to the other pyramids. We saw Iguana's along the way. I ran up the pyramid only to look back and see TJ crawling up it. For some reason going up wasn't scary to me. We were there March 21 and the Mayans had made the temple at Chichen Iza to have a snake going down the side by the shadow from the sun on that date. We were still a ways away I had already been there before and we heard that there was going to be at least 60k people plus we had planned on going to Tulum and snorkeling so we decided to forgo, but next year Paul McCartney is supposed to be there, sounds fun! Tulum was beautiful I think this is my favorite ruin site, if I were an ancient Mayan that is where I would live, it was right on the beach and gorgeous!!! There were Iguanas everywhere here. We drove up to Akumal Bay after that and went snorkeling. I made TJ hold my hand it was so romantic. We saw Sea Turtles, they were so cute, we would get really excited and just watch them and they would get a little nervous and put there heads in and out to see if we were still there it was so cute! We saw lots of pretty fish and headed into a beautiful coral reef. So in Greece when I was 14 I got stung by something in the coral/rocks, my dad had told me not to play there and I had anyway. Needless to say I started to panic. The tide was coming in and I got really nervous about slashing my belly open on some coral or something so I found a piece of coral and landed on it with my flippers. I stood up and started panicking! TJ tried to stand on it too and got cut up. Finally I pushed him away and then dove off and swam as quick as I could out of there. Then I was ok again and enjoyed the rest of the snorkeling. I guess TJ had seen a family go through there but I hadn't and didn't know if there was a safe path through, and didn't want to find out.

Day 6: I woke up hoping to get a morning run in before our flight, I heard some water noise and went on our balcony it was pouring rain! I moved TJ's chaco's just before the rain started blowing on our balcony. The day after the solstice is what the Mayans considered there rainy season. Welcome rain! We ate breakfast and headed to the airport jamming out to 90's songs that were playing on the van's radio. FYI don't plan on eating at the Cancun airport, a mini pizza was $30 and a bag of chex mix was $11 luckily we had fruit and Laura bars to last us till Denver. We then dined at Paradise Cafe. We arrived home around midnight and I was relieved to not find squatters in our home.

1 comment:

  1. your trip looks fabulous! So glad you were able to go!!

    ReplyDelete